Here’s something that’s scary: a recent study found that 70% of produce sold in the U.S. had pesticide residue even after washing.
Strawberries, spinach, and kale are among the biggest culprits, with conventionally-farmed kale containing up to 18 pesticides.
Dacthal—a pesticide that is banned in Europe—was the most common pesticide found, detected in more than 60% of kale samples. The EPA has even classified this pesticide as a possible carcinogen.
Do you want your family eating this?
We know that we don’t!
Our mission is to educate and empower you to live a life of more joy & less stress, and that includes growing and eating food that is good for you and your family, not food covered in a dozen chemicals.
We want to highlight a few gardening resources that we have for you so that you can get started growing your own healthy food! After all, is there a better time to begin than this?!
Free Resources on the Stoney Creek Farm Blog
Our hope is that the Stoney Creek Farm blog can be a free resource for all things sustainable living!
Check out some of these gardening blog posts to get started with planning and planting your own garden:
- 3 Tips for Planting Spring Veggies (it’s not too late… some plant types can be planted up to mid-April)
- Planning Your Summer Garden
- How to Plant Seeds for the Garden
- Growing Your Own Herb Garden
Gardening 101 (without Pesticides) Class
If you’d prefer a hands-on opportunity to learn everything about gardening without pesticides, I invite you to join us for our Gardening 101 (without Pesticides) Class on Saturday, April 6 from 10am – 11:30am.
You’ll learn all the basics of gardening, including the best tools to use, soil testing, attracting & keeping beneficial insects, germination, raised bed gardening, and more!
Wanting to grow your own healthy food but don’t have the land for it? Rent a garden plot at Stoney Creek Farm!
What does your garden rental include?
1. Tilled, ready-to-plant plot
2. Mentorship: We’ll help you design your garden and provide advice throughout the growing season
3. Optional fencing to keep the critters out
4. A free ticket to our Gardening 101 class on April 6!
We offer three different garden rental plot sizes to suit your growing needs. Take a look at your garden rental options here.
If you want to start a garden or determine how your land could be used for multiple income streams, but you aren’t sure where to begin, let us come to you with personalized guidance!
Whether it a backyard HOA or acres of land you want to develop, Olin and I will use our combined contracting and garden & farming skills to provide you with individualized guidance.
You’ll receive detailed recommendations for your property and contact resources for developing your property.
Recent consulting clients include:
- A 7 acre-farm in Tennessee that we recommended developing for U-Pick destination farming
- A 3 acre-property that we recommended using as a flower bouquet business
- A local elementary school that created a garden for student learning purposes
- Multiple neighborhood clients looking for raised bed and garden design guidance.
To learn how your property can sustainably serve you and your family, email Leigh at email@example.com to book your farm or garden consultation.
Sustainable consulting services are offered at an hourly and per-project basis.