- This event has passed.
Stepping Stones to a Healthy Gut: Sprouts and Shoots Class
March 27 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Easy Stepping Stones to a Healthy Gut: Sprouts and Shoots Class
Saturday, March 27, 2021
Time: 10 am – 12 noon
includes all instructions, resources, taste testing, and seeds to begin growing!
Did you know that the EASIEST & FASTEST vegetables to grow with the HIGHEST level of nutrition are sprouts and shoots? One example, Broccoli sprouts, which have lots of fiber and protein with just a few calories. They also contain anywhere from 10 to 100 times as much glucoraphanin — the nutrient that becomes sulforaphane (cancer prevention) — as the mature vegetable. These sprouts are bursting with vitamins and other nutrients.
Sprouts are the premature growth of a plant from a germinated seed. All vegetable plants will develop into a sprout shortly after germination. Examples of seeds to sprout in a jar are clover, alfalfa, broccoli, radish, mustard, and kale. Beans or legumes can be sprouted in a jar and take less time. Peas, lentils, garbanzos, and adzuki are only a few examples of legumes to sprout.
Shoots are very small plants that you can eat before they develop their secondary leaves. Shoots are also packed with nutrition and provide pre-biotics which are needed to feed healthy gut bacteria. Examples of shoots are green peas and sunflowers. Both are full of fiber, protein, and vitamins…much more than a typical salad.
What will you learn in the Sprouts and Shoots Class?
1. How easy it is to grow sprouts in a jar on your kitchen counter in just a few days without any soil or sunlight!
2. The longer, but just as easy process of growing shoots using soil and artificial lighting.
3. The types of containers, soil and seeds you will need to grow your own shoots and sprouts.
4. The amazing nutritional value of sprouts and shoots & the yummy taste of REALLY FRESH produce.
5. How shoots and sprouts will feed your good gut bacteria to give you a healthier gut and better immune system!
What will you take home from the Sprouts and Shoots Class?
1. A ton of resources that will help you get started: books, YouTube videos, seed vendors, supply vendors, and nutritional information.
2. Seeds to take home with you for your first batch of shoots and sprouts.
Join Catilin VanKeuren at Stoney Creek Farm for her step-by-step class on Growing Sprouts and Shoots by signing up below:
Guest Host Bio
Caitlin VanKeuran is an avid gardener, Sunset Middle School Orchestra teacher, and violinist. She enjoys growing all types of sprouts and sunflower shoots and developed a business model for growing and selling the products with her Joyful Sprouts line of fresh products. Caitlin’s bubbly personality and a terrific sense of humor will entertain and teach you the basics of growing healthy sprouts and shoots. You will see how easy and fast you can produce healthy delicious food that will feed your good gut bacteria and improve your immune system.